From:
Sara Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:16:00 -0400
It was a lovely day at de Bridge. SaraFerret was sitting in front of
de cottage doing absolutely nothing when Mimi, de little girl courier,
flew up with a note in her paw.

"Hi, SaraFerret, mercy its unusual to find you doing nothing. I have
a note from the Boss. A ferret is crossing the bridge and his earth
people have made a special request for you to greet him. Do you want
me to get some of his family?"

SaraFerret took de note and read thru it with a SIGH. Den she sent Mimi
on her way to fetch de family and she headed for de entrance.

As I neared de entrance I could hear de familiar song dat all NZ
fuzzies cross de bridge with. Sure enough de little fuzzy had already
made his slow way across and was waiting for me. He was just lying
dere. So I put my paw gently on him and introduced myself,

"Hi, I am SaraFerret and I am de bridgegreeter. Welcome to de Rainbow
Bridge. Here you will have no more pain or suffering. You will be
surrounded by lotsa friends and run on green grass forever. Did I
mention de fun and games?

And at dat moment, POOF! de little fuzzy began to move around and could
stretch his legs and den he found he could actually stand on dem and he
started to walk and he did a small dance of joy and when he settled
down, he said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, but it has been so
long since I was able to do that. My name is Fergus and my mum and dad
told me that I would be coming here and I would meet an angel--are you
an angel? You are sure a funny-looking angel. They said that a lot of
NZ ferrets were here and so I would have lotsa company, but I don't see
them. I sure hope they weren't just telling me stories to make me feel
better."

"Hmmm," I said. "Fergus, now you must admit you do feel better don'cha?
As for my looks, I never claimed to be a prize-winning fuzzy on earth
so why would I be here? So you know your mum wasn't telling you
stories. Once fuzzies arrive at de bridge dey all become angels. Do you
see de wings on my shoulders? Dese are not just funny growths-- dey are
specially made for us to fly about de heavens--sure beats hopping from
cloud to cloud."

Well den Fergus began to perk up a bit, and between a few leaps of joy,
we made our way down de garden path to de Wing House where de wings
were stored. But first he met Chrony, another NZ fuzzy and after a
few minutes of greeting. Fergus whispered to me, "I guess Mum wasn't
telling me a story." We opened de door and on de counter was a big box
(of course). He opened de box and took out de wings--silver with gold
streaks--perfect for a NZ fuzzy who had spent such a short time on
earth. Chrony helped him on with his wings and I adjusted his halo. Den
he ran to de big vanity mirror and gazed at his reflection and den he
turned to me and said, "Gee I wish Mum Jocelyn and Dad Geoff could see
me now." Den I gots an idea.

We went out de door and down de path to de Misting Pond. We sat down
beside de cool clear water and with one swish we saw a vision of his
Mum and Dad appear. Fergus got so excited dat he started waving and
dooking with all of his might.

"I love you so much. Thank you for loving me. I have wings now and
soon I will be able to fly. My legs work really good now and I don't
hurt any more."

Den he began to throw hugs and kisses and wrapped dem with all of his
love and laid dem on a nearby shooting star which was headed to your
house and by de time you should read dis it should have landed dere.
And with another swish de vision was gone.

All three of us went further down the road and den Fergus saw de
familiar flag with de blue background--union jack in one corner and
southern cross in the other. Den a large group of fuzzies dashed out
to greet him singing, "Welcome to de Bridge, Fergus. We are NZ ferrets
also". Dey led him to de picnic grounds in front of a group of
cottages. Fergus was amazed at de food--all de food dat had been
forbidden on earth. But first of all, dey all saluted dere beloved
flag, and sang dere beloved anthem. (I got misty-eyed, thinking how
pretty de song sounded). Den dey started in on de food. I was invited
to stay, but I gave Fergus a hug and I headed for home. I knew I had
nothing to do, but dis was HIS BIG DAY. He had found his friends and
his new forever home and knew, for sure, dat no one had told him any
stories.

So ended another greeting at de Rainbow Bridge.

Lovey and hugs,