From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 21:07:20 -0400
I received no response from anyone on my round worm query, but my
research showed that ferrets rarely if ever get round worm.  I asked
the vet to test another stool sample and it came back negative!  She
only charged me for one of the tests and more importantly we were able
to avoid unnecessary medication.  I would still like to know if it
is necessary to test stool samples at all, and what illnesses can
be detected with this test.

Today Belle started to cough and was very uncomfortable.  She seemed
to have something stuck in her throat!  My wife rushed her to the
vet.  They took an X-ray and had to give a general anesthetic and
found nothing.  We were so scared, but Belle seems fine now.

The vet said that she shouldn't eat or drink for 2 more hours and gave
us some antibiotic, it's a liquid but there is no label.  She's
to get 10 cc twice a day. I hope we have no trouble getting her to take
it.

We got a call for Belle on Friday.  How many FML subscribers get calls
for their ferrets?  Evidently we won a contest for a year supply of
dog food from Petco!!!  As Belle isn't partial to dog food we will
have to convince them that she's a cat (actually a kitten).  I'm
not sure if we get S.D. or Iams, but she likes both.

It's nice that although I never ever win any contests, my ferrets
luck is much better :-)

Petco doesn't seem to know what ferrets are, they completely ignore
them (as far as stocking food or ferretone or ferret toys, not only
in the FFZ of NYC, but also in their Nassau County stores.

So goes the "Adventures of Belle" (c 1994).

Belle and Steve in NYC!