From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:31:11 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

Let me start by congratulating Kim for the following:

>I've been described as a preaching, militaristic, child tormenting,
>guilt instilling, mystical, missionary of Al-Qeada's ferret food
>police department!"

Hon, that just means you've arrived here at the FML. Me, I have had
child-molesting spouse batterer thrown at me, so I know I am *loved.*
The Al-Queda stuff was mine. (Curtsey.) Has anyone yet resorted to "You
look like a monkey, and you smell like one, too"? That's probably next.
Prepare yourself.

You gave some nice instructions on tryin' on the Raw life, and that is
good information, I think. I have nothing against Raw, just against the
rhetoric. In fact, I *tried* Raw a few years ago because yeah, it seems
rational to feed ferrets something close to their natural diet. I would
add to your info from yesterday that before trying a switch to Raw,
you should hook up with someone who feeds Raw, sort of like an on-line
mentor to guide you through it. It is not always as easy as it sounds.
Me, I had a lovely lady from Australia named Shirley as a guide. There
is also (or there was) an online Raw group who could be of assistance.

My experience of Raw is that with *great* reluctance, my Ping is He was
willing to accept chicken wings as a major component of his diet. They
had to be gently warmed in the microwave, first. He rejected the cold
ones. (Can't say I blamed him.) At the time I had a dedicated Ferret
Room, and he delighted in stashing wings and wing parts that I couldn't
find until they reeked. I had an entire city constructed from tubes and
cardboard boxes and his habit quickly became revolting. Completely
revolting.

Puma was the real problem. Shirley talked me through trying at least
ten methods for coaxing her into making the switch. Puma flat-out
refused. I would say that she lost a good third of a pound and became
lethargic. I decided that this was just plain ferret abuse. She
*wanted* to eat kibble, and that was that. Very possibly an experienced
Raw feeder could have found just the right magic combo for her. I could
not, and there was no reason to torture this little creature. I tried
other meats than chicken, other parts of the chicken, warming them,
making gravy from kibble and pouring it over the introduced meat,
minced bits, you name it. Her answer was NO and didn't she have the
right to an opinion? I would be righteously annoyed at being told that
I had to eat an Australopithicene diet because it was "good for me"
and "natural." Bugs and tubers and raw baboon? I think not.

So I was left with feeding kibble AND Raw, and having to do a daily
search for body parts. My hubby was also highly resistant to being told
that he had to warm chicken wings and look for what was left for them
whenever I was away for any length of time. My best ferret-sitter was
also upset by this prospect. So I broke out the kibble bag, and that
is how it has been ever since. The only exception is Caff-Pow, who was
raised on Raw and really appreciates the occasional meal of chicken or
turkey. In fact, he will steal the bones out of the trash if he doesn't
get his fair share of "I feel like chicken tonight."

Raw is a reasonable option but really, don't try going it alone. Ask,
and I am sure you can find someone to help you make what can be a
genuinely traumatic transition for your small ferret friends. If it
is worth doing, it is worth doing *right*, and doing with kindness.

Alexandra in MA

Caff-Pow: "Did someone say chicken?"
Todd: "THIS time don't leave the bones in my hammy or I'll BITE you!"