Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:07:44 -0400
Yes there certainly is a way of knowing if the shelter is above board
healthy and clean for the ferrets.  I routinely let people into my
shelter that did not make an appointment or that I had no idea they were
coming, I allow them to go through the entire shelter, not a cage is
hidden not a ferret is unseen.  So I would guess that a shelter such as
the MD one would not have had the same sort of open door policy.

Is my shelter in 100% condition every time I get a surprise visit?  not
on your life, they may have to walk around vacuum cleaners and mop
buckets, or help to move a fur kid or two from one play room to another,
they may even be asked to pick up the toys and put them back in the toys
boxes, but they will not find dirty cages, empty food and water bowls,
and poop up to the ferrets necks.

The concern you have is a valid concern however the shelters such as
Barb's, the one Kim use to have and mine ( there are 100's more I don't
even know) that do have this open door policy are not the ones you need
to be concerned with..  If the neighbors had not complained this episode
would not have been discovered!!  This is just my 2 cents

Brenda
Lakeroad Ferret Farm Rescue & Shelter
Naples, NY
http://www.ferretfarm.org

Brenda and all the shelter kids that live here