From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:04:07 -0400
>From:    Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
>Predisone is a terrible medicine for humans.  Why give it to ferret's?
>Some of the research I have done in humans is a last resort for illness.
>It really bothers me that other's take this med so lightly when given to
>their ferret.  I sure hope other's have researched as much as I have on
>this medicine....

Prednisone can work wonders in humans when used correctly, and on a
temporary basis.  When I had *severe* poison ivy, I was prescribed Pred
for two weeks.  They told me that it would increase my appetite (just what
I need - NOT) but actually I didn't notice anything of the kind.  Nor any
other side effects.  It did however calm the severe inflammation caused by
the poison ivy.  It's true that it's not something that a person would want
to take long term, unless there was absolutely no other choice.

For ferrets, it really seems to help some when other treatments aren't an
option.  It should be carefully monitored, just like any drug treatment.

Karen
"The snake is an animal. It has a backbone and heart. It has red blood and
drinks water and eats food. It breathes air and feels fear, just like every
other animal in the world. And it's in a body that is the hardest thing for
the average person to understand."
                -- Dave Barker, herpetologist
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html