From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:35:44 EST
MUTTLEY

His dad would describe him as a cross between 'Buzz Buzzard' from the
cartoons, and the Cowardly Lion from "the Wizard of Oz".  He was timid and
afraid of the other kids, even though he was larger then most of them.
Guess ya could call him goofy, in a loveable way.  There were times when
he would try to curl up and hide under a food dish.  But his chunky 4.15lb
body jusy wouldn't fit.

His coat style was not that of any normal ferret.  Not albino, sable,
silver, DEW - but all of the above.  He was a 'mutt' as far as coloring.
Brown, white, grey, orange, tan splotches on the forehead.  The mottled
appearance, and being the 13th ferret, earned him the name of "Muttley
Triskadeckfert".

Muttley, true to his cowardly nature, hid in a patch of flowers, only
slightly larger then he.  He had seen the other animals coming toward him.
He really would not mind making some friends in this strange place, but,
"he" was with them !  Muttley remembered the way this guy used to pounce on
him all the time.  'He" was Muttleys worst nightmare.  Muttley hid as the
others approached.

"He was just right here!" said Sandee, "Right here where we are standing.
I know it was him!" Lady enquired, "Are you certain it was Muttley?  We
really weren't expecting him so soon".  Sandee was in a panic, "How could I
have lost him?" she thought to herself.  She wondered if Skeeter had ever
had this problem.  No, most likely not.  How would she explain this to
Skeeter, or for anyone else?

Rascal had seen the movement in the flowers.  Sneaking up behind Muttley he
leaned over and whispered, "Boo".  The startled Muttley coward begging,
"Please don't hurt me, please don't hurt me .... ooooh, please ?????"
Muttley opened one eye just a bit.  He saw it was rascal that stood above
him, not "The Fuzzinator".

"Doh!" exclaimed Muttley, "Ya shouldn't oughta have done that Rascal!  Ya
scared me !!".  Rascal suppressed a snicker.  "C'mon Muttley, the others
are looking all over for you.  We have to meet up with them".  Muttley
buried his face in his paws, "Ummmmmmm-aaa, nope, nope - noooooooo.  Um,
I saw Socks with them.  I can't let Socks see me.  Please don't tell him
where I am, oooooo please, please !!!".

Muttley continued, "D'ya know what will happen if Socks finds me ?  Ya know
what he'll do dont'cha ?  He'll pounce on me and ....".  Muttley was cought
off guard by another voice asking, "And what Fat-Boy?".  The voice belonged
to Socks.

Muttley looked up at the animals who stood over him.  He had been so
frightened by the sound of Socks voice.  The mere sound made him propel
himself straight up several inches and fall backwards.  Muttley was so
embarrassed.  "I, uh, guess ummmmmm ..  you're all gonna laugh at me now,
ain'tcha?".  Muttley was real surprised when Socks picked him up and hugged
him.  "Glad to see you brother" said Socks, "I really did miss ya tubby".
This surprised Muttley greatly, but now as much as seeing the tears in
Socks eyes.

The other animals took turns at welcoming the new arrival.  Sandee breathed
a sigh of relief.  She hoped beyond hope that Skeeter never heard about
this.  She would never live it down.