Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 11:14:44 -0600
I want to put out a reminder on Melatonin.  It is something we touched on
briefly not too long ago on the Ferret Health List (a very excellent
source for ferret health-related information).

While melatonin helps greatly in relieving the symptoms of adrenal
disease, it is not a known cure.  If you start a ferret on Melatonin
before adrenal disease is diagnosed, you run the risk of not spotting it.
Hair loss, agression, swollen vulva, ect., while not great symptoms for
your ferret to experience, ARE great identifiers of adrenal disease.
Adrenal disease usually involves a growth on one or both of the adrenals,
which can either be benign or malignant.  Malignancies can metastasize to
other parts of the body, so catching it early is crucial to a successful
surgery.  Melatonin, after adrenal disease is diagnosed, is great in
relieving the symptoms and helping your ferret grow back their hair, ect.

There is some debate on whether or not Melatonin actually prevents
adrenal disease, but personally I would rather not take the risk.  I know
I'm beating a worn-out horse, but I think it's important enough to state
again, lest a new ferret owner sees the word "Melatonin" and thinks that
it would be a great supplement to use every day.

Roary
Albuquerque, NM