From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:56:28 -0400
My two ferrets are as different as peas in a pod.  Giesela, the female, is
the smart on the go one - she always wants out and she loves to "hunt", digs
out chipmunk holes and such.  Today I had seen a couple of chipmunks chasing
each other around in the front yard when I drove up.  I took Giesela out
back for her normal 10 minutes in the long grass I (have a field on the
other side of my backyard).  When I was taking her in I released her to pick
up a flower pot and she got in the front flower bed where the chipmunks had
been and actually chased one into the basement window well (protected by one
of those plastic things).  Well I caught enough of a glimps to know it went
out the other side so while she was investigating I thought I'd weed a bit.
She started digging under the siding/house like mad and her tail was
whipping around.  As I was crouching there thinking "you know your a ferret
lover when you let your ferret dig a huge hole under your sideing" a
chipmunk that was actually under there decided to make a run for it.  The
first I knew of it was that chittering/squeaking noise chippies make and
lots of movement on both their parts (a blur).  It lasted about a fraction
of a second and the chippie ran over the yard and up a tree.  Surprisingly
Giesela didn't seem to be fast enough to follow where it went, course I
grabbed her pretty fast but definately after the fact cuz I was watching the
chippie in amazement.  I got Giesela inside and while it could have been
there before she has what looks like a small red tooth made indentation in
her chin (one).  Didn't seem to phase her, she definately wanted back out
(uh uh), then to play, then some treats.  I hit the spot with a little
hydrogen peroxide.  I wonder - do the hunting ferrets in England ever get
hurt by the rabbits and rats?  I don't mind her trying to hunt but I'm
definately going to have to be more careful.  I hope the chippie is ok (I
think they're cute).

Mary, Giesela (let me at 'em, let me at 'em!) and Boris Hmmmm?