From:
"Sandy, Michael & 'Tater' Schieman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 00:53:49 -0500
Debi,

Your post about the way your boyfriend treats his ferrets disturbed me
greatly.  I can't claim to be an expert on ferret care, I've only enjoyed
the priviledge of having one share my life for a short time; but, I have had
some kind of critter to care for, love and cherish for for more years than I
would care to admit.  One thing I have learned is that any creature, humans
included, will respond to any person in the same way that the person treats
them.  Discipline is a good and neccesary thing but it should never be done
in a spirit of anger but, rather, from love.  Hitting and tossing a ferret
around the room is anger, not love.

I mourn with you the loss of the older ferret. Seven years is a good life in
ferret years; but, with proper treatment, the poor guy could have, perhaps,
lived longer - I really can't say. I'm glad that your boyfriend is depressed
over the loss. Perhaps he is feeling guilt over his mistreatment of his pet
companions. He needs to.

As for Logan, his behavior is his way of saying, "Help" as loudly as he can.
With proper treatment and love, I believe he will come around. Domestic
ferrets are sweet, gentle and fun loving beasties - even though their antics
can sometimes drive you right 'up the wall'. The twin medicines of time and
love should bring him back to himself.

I pray that the ramblings of an old man might, somehow, be useful to you. I
am thankful that you do not live with your boyfriend for he might treat you
the same as he treats his other roomates. I hope that you can talk to him and
help him over his anger. If not, perhaps some more ferret-knowlgeable person
on the FML can offer you advice on taking steps to protect the safety of the
remaining two fuzzies. In the meantime, give them all the love and affection
you can spare, especially poor Logan.

As for your apology for not being the most literate of souls, no apology is
needed. Literacy has nothing to do with grammar and punctuation. A literate
person is able to communicate their feelings and ideas effectively. You
accomplished that admirably in your post. Sandy, Tater and I will pray for
you and the ferrets which you obviously love very much.

Michael(Paw Paw)