Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:45:22 -0500

>My vet just called my 7 year old ferret has a blood test which was 58,
>one month ago it was 68.  So its dropping, we are upping the pred to
>2cc a day.  Any help on what else to do for him.  I feed marshall ferret
>food, But change at this age will be hard on him.  Can I supplement with
>chicken baby food, how often should I do this?
>
>Surgery is not an option, I dont feel with his age an condition he would
>make it.  So my goal is to make him comfortable for his remaining days
>may they be long.

Christy, I currently have 3 ins. ferts on pred.  Two are pretty old, but
rescues, so we aren't sure exactly how old.  I have one that is going on
his third year of treatment.  I give 2.5 mg of pred crushed into a raw
turkey diet based on Dr. Pitcairn's cat diet.  I also feed the Ferret
Store's ferret food (I just switched from TF and they seem to be doing
good).  I highly recommend supplementing with some sort of duck soup type
food, but really and truly swear by the Skunkie Delight that I feed my
guys.  The three ins.  cases I had prior to these three just didn't do as
well.  One went through every test, surgery, meds, all I could do for him,
my beloved Stoney.  He died of liver failure almost a year to the day of
being diagnosed.  He was only three.  Berlioz is now 4 and while he has
the pred belly, he is as playful and happy as any ferret.  As is Ibn.
Gracie is new and we're still working on getting her weight and blood
sugar up.  She pops her head up when I bring the dishes, though!  E-mail
me and I'll get you a copy o f the diet, if you're interested.  Best of
luck with the little one.

Carla

--
It s beyond my control, sometimes it s best to let go
Whatever happens in this lifetime

POD-Alive