From:
Helga Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:54:56 -0700
I know some of you here work for Pet smarts that sell ferrets.

I like to know what kind of setups you have there for the ferrets. Are
they the same for all stores? I hope that some of you can set my mind
at ease here.

I get sick every time I set foot in our local one here ( Fallon, IL)
and have been worried about this ever since they started selling
ferrets. I asked time and time again just how these poor ferrets
are getting air in that totally enclosed "aquarium" I call it.

You can't get a true answer from anybody, just lies. "Don't worry,
they get enough air!" I'm told over and over again.

I ask where, all sides are closed, top also! Just two -1" wide grated
strips on the back wall. I suppose that's where the air has to be
coming in. He tells me that there are holes in the top and "sometimes"
a fan is blowing from the back. I know that is a lie, there's no place
for a fan in the back and there are no holes I can see in the top
either unless they were made with a sewing needle. It looks to be of
Plexiglas also.

I ask where the fan is located and why they would only need it
"sometimes". They don't like to answer any of your questions because
they know that they have to lie to you. The rehearsed answer is the
same over and over again with a smirk smile on they're faces,"they
are getting enough air , these cages were designed by Pet smart and
veterinarians."

On top of all this, there are lights across the top burning all day
and probably (I can't say 100% ) all night. I will have to go there
after the store is closed and see. I think I can see the tank from
the door.

I don't go there to buy supplies anymore, only to see the ferrets and
see if anything has improved and to return home sick in my heart. This
one ferret has been sold and returned several times because he bites
and they end up staying in that small area for month. No wonder they
are mentally going nuts and result to biting. But don't let a biter go
to a experienced,forever home offered to them, oh no!. They got to get
that mighty dollar even if that means the animal suffers. I had offered
to take the biter.I was asked how much I was willing to pay for them
and I told him that I wont pay for them. I was really not looking for
ferrets but am willing to give him a good, permanent home and that I
have dealt with many biters.I also was not looking for "free" ferrets
and counted off some of the expenses for that ferret(s) down the road.
He seem surprised to hear that.He didn't know about ferrets needing
surgeries! How's that for those so- ferret -knowledgeable employees

He told me that he would ask his district manager and get back to me.

After almost two weeks not hearing from him I called and he said that
the ferret would go home with one of the employees. They get first
choice and he doe's not bite the employees. Well, I was satisfied
with that at least the biggest one in there would get a good home.

Now weeks later, the poor guy is still in there and they are still
trying to sell him again!

They also tell everybody that they exercise the ferrets every day. I
was there one day and saw no ferrets, so I ask if they were all sold.
She said no, they are in they're exercise cage to stretch their legs
while they clean their cage. She showed me and my heart just sank! The
cage they were in was smaller than the tank they sleep in. The next
person will tell you "oh yes, we exercise them in the back" Next person
will tell you that they are not allowed to let them on the floor. They
won't let you see where they supposedly exercise them and you just
can't get a straight answer. I did see them being "exercised" in that
cage again a couple weeks later. They are lying about exercising them
in the back, at least out of a cage.

So, doe's this sound like the same setup as in all the other Petsmart
stores? I'm curious.

Please let me know if you work in one which sells ferrets and I hope
someone can assure me that there really is enough ventilation there for
these ferrets and I am worried for nothing. I pray that this is the
case. I still don't like the long time they keep grown ferrets in those
small spaces. They come in small and grow up in there. It is so hard to
watch.

And, am I dreaming this or do I recall at one of the symposiums that
Petsmart promised to treat ferrets better then the other stores do?

Helga
(The one who's motor runs on ferret kisses)