From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 20:30:10 -0700
My dear friends,

We each have the right to dream our own dreams.  And we SHOULD be able to
discuss these dreams here, without being bashed for them.  We are all VERY
different people, with only our love of ferrets bringing us together.  It
should be expected that we will have many different sets of values,
different goals, and different writing styles and methods of delivery.  We
are so diverse, it's impossible for our ferret interests to make us think
alike.

One of the goals I strive to accomplish is not to say or do anything that
will make another person uncomfortable.  That's really difficult to do.
I'm the person, who a few months ago mentioned the "Grandma test".  When
you write your message, imagine you are addressing your own grandmother, or
an elderly person who you are fond of.  "You didn't bother to read what I
wrote, did you, Grandma"?  That doesn't seem like a nice way to respond to
a grandmother, does it?  So she didn't get it right.  There are a lot of
times when it would be nice to just LET IT GO.  People do NOT have to be
convinced that YOUR opinion is the only CORRECT one.  They even have to
right to be flat out WRONG.  It's ok.  They can be wrong, and you don't
have to tell them, or worse, tell everybody else how wrong they are.

Debating ferret issues, genetics, ferret food and litter choices, these are
all good things.  Exchanging information, this is good.  Talking about cage
preferences, toy choices, etc., all these things help each of us.  Someone
writes about a new play thing (rice!) and we all rush out to get in on the
fun.  We rave about our fav vets, or rant about one that said "what is
that".  But boy, can we get mired down in the minutiae.

Another factor in favor of treating each other with respect, is that we
actually meet face to face.  As with many special interest lists, we go to
shows, belong to the same clubs, and form strong friendships.  I've bunked
with Maggie Merchant at a show, rocketed through the back streets of
Chicago with BK and Diane, rolled out my softest chunk of floor for Sara
and Kurt Peterson, and look forward to several ferret person visits this
summer.

So, darlings, let's be more tolorant, each of the other.

Georgia, the left coast one...
Who has, on occasion, been most intolorant, and deeply regrets it.