From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:11:59 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/2004 4:06:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 >Other than moving the litter box (which was originally placed in a spot
 >where they liked to poop) over a foot or so, blocking my closet door,
do
 >you have any other suggestions as to how I can get the ferrets to use
 >the litterbox when outside of the cage?

Hi Steve ~

I find you sort of have to weight out expectations.  I love my Calvin
who
came to me very well trained.  He was a shelter guy.  Then after he came
we went through a period of adjustment where he looked for his own
places
to go.  They are with me in a big office-bedroom area.  So now they have
two litter boxes outside of their cage, and one in their cage.  I also
place newspapers in his two favorite spots.  We go through periods where
he makes it to the little box, and times when he doesn't choose to go
there.  Ergo, I also place newspapers out for him.  We change them daily
and it's a good compromise.

The other thing I have used is a bit of behavior modification but you
have to be there for the whole time they are out at play.  Every time he
uses his litterbox I tell him how marvelous he is lol and he gets a bit
of ferretone.  What has happened is he has disappeared behind part of
the
partition blocking visibility to the litterbox, stood there for a
minute,
and then come out for his treat.  Little monkey!  I checked, no new poop
in the box.  So they do get crafty on you.

Hope this helps ~
Mary Conley