From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:15:02 -0700
>Yes.  But its not strictly legal depending upon why service is denied.
>Denny's got in big trouble over that.  Didn't matter if they had a sign or
>not.

I think you're off track here, we're not talking about *discriminating*
because of race, creed, color or sex, I'm talking about refusing service.  I
suggest you can easily clear up this point by contacting a local attorney or
law enforcement officer.  Here in Seattle, I do not have to allow anyone
into my place of business that I don't want in.  And I can ask anyone to
leave without giving a reason.  I doubt that the law on this point is any
different in your area of the country than it is in my area.  And yup,
anyone can try to sue for anything, but there is no *law* being broken by
refusing service or asking someone to leave.

>Back to the first point.  In the eyes of law a pet is property and as
>such is sold.

So you're saying that there is a law which states that "a pet is property
and as such is sold".  I don't think so.  Where is this law written??  It's
certainly a new one on me and I've checked into the laws pretty carefully
before I opened my business.  If you'll let me know where this law is
written, I'd certainly like to obtain a copy of it.

>But it is batant discrimination to decide whether someone is too poor in
>your OPINION to deserve a ferret.  We don't abide by bigotry.  Many of the
>very best people we know are too poor to rub two nickels together.  But they
>love and care for their pets.  There are vets that will run a tab for
>clients, they do for shelters.  Shelters here beg all the time, they
>obviously are poor.  Too poor to afford proper vet care?  Yes.  But they do
>not make bad caretakers for the ferrets.

Sigh... I don't know where to begin.  So now I'm a bigot?  I suppose that by
your definition (at this point I can only assume it's your definition, since
you haven't provided any info about where these so-called "laws" exist), I'm
also "discriminating" because I won't adopt rats or mice or rabbits to be
used for snake food.  Or because I won't adopt rabbits to be slaughtered for
fur.  Or because I won't adopt ferrets to people who want to use them in
their barns to keep the rats out, or to those who "need" ferret feces to
keep the moles away.  Nor will I adopt to anyone who wants to keep any of
these animals outside.

An example once again is the human adoption agencies which will *not* adopt
to anyone who cannot afford medical care.  People must *qualify* before they
can adopt, they don't just show up with $10K in their pocket and say "I'll
take that cute little brown haired, blue eyed one over there".  That is NOT
automatically discrimination!  Yes, the person can file a lawsuit against an
adoption agency for *discrimination*, but the court is not going to give
judgement to the party who wanted the kid but can't afford to feed, cloth or
provide medical care.

>Feel free to have whatever policies you want for your operation but be aware
>laws do apply.

Thanks for your unsolicited advice.  I absolutely feel free to establish
policies in my shelter and place of business.  And I am also very aware that
there are anti-cruelty laws which protect animals and provide minimum
requirements for their well being.  Perhaps the state of Washington is more
enlightened about the need to protect animals than your area of the country.

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House