From:
Rita Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 01:45:11 EDT
Victor,
I would agree with all you said about ferret ownership but add that every
dime, every difficulty, every tear has been worth the joy my ferrets have
given me.  You are probably doing the best thing you can do by doing
research BEFORE you get ferrets.  It has been said many times on this
list that so many people know little when they first get their ferrets
and that is a real problem because many times the ferrets end up being
dumped, abandoned or worse.  Others learn to adapt to the needs of the
ferrets, physical, monetary, medical etc.  I didnt know much when I
first got my ferrets in 1997 but I have educated myself through books,
my vet, the AFA, the internet, and this list.

There is nothing you might want to know about ferrets that someone on
this list cant help you with.

I have chosen to BUY ferrets from a private breeder.  I currently have
5, 3 from a private breeder, one a gift from my son, (an angora) and a
Marshalls ferret that I adopted from my vet ( he was brought in as a
stray).  Of the 8 ferrets I have had that passed in the past year and 1/2
all were Marshalls.  Buying the private breeder ferrets was my personal
choice to try something else and see if it made a difference.  I will not
know for hopefully a long time if it does make a difference.  Taking the
ferret from the vet was my way of rescuing a ferret because ALL ferrets
deserve a happy life.  I do not however want to put money in the pockets
of Marshall Farms.

I must say this again!  You are doing the right thing by doing research
BEFORE you get the ferrets because you might realize you arent up to the
special care they need--including ferret proofing, specific foods, time
out of their cage, behavior, medical costs,etc.

I cant address having ferrets in California, that is another stumbling
block BUT people in California do cope with it.

Breeding ferrets is something I am totally uninterested in for so many
reasons.  It is extremely difficult from everything I have ever read.
Ferrets are not like cats that can reproduce like crazy.  Many problems
can develop for the kits as well as the jills.  I therefore see no reason
for me to want to dabble in breeding when there are so many breeders
already out there with years and years of experience.

Do some more research, find a shelter in California and volunteer your
time.  Shelter people are a wealth of knowledge.  Then hopefully you
can make a decision that will be right for you.

Rita B.