From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:19:58 -0400
>On a more interesting note, I was browsing the newest issue of Critters
>USA, a yearly publication showcasing small and fuzzy critters.  On an
>advertisement towards the back of the magazine, there was a picture of
>a ferret, black and white spotted (like a rabbit), with six toes on each
>foot.  It's face was primarily white with one spot over the left eye, and
>his eyes were jet black.  I found this both unusual and disconcerting.

The extra toes are polydactyly.  Luckily, they usually are not associated
with other mutations in mammals, but at times the extra toes can cause
problems with mobility, balance, etc.  Some causes of polydactyly are
associated with multiple health concerns that extend way beyond foot
ones, such as GI tract malformations and more.

Strongly non-bilateral head pigmentation can be a very bad thing to
encounter.  In multiple mammals -- including at least one past line of
ferrets -- it has been associated with defects of the aortic arch and
consistent early deaths in that line from circulatory damage.  (That
line was culled by sterilization, which is the right thing to do.)

Nor is spotting a good thing.  There are posts by geneticist, Dr. Brett
Middleton and others in both the Ferret Health List Archives and in
Ferret-Genetics which go into health problems which can be associated.
Dr. Middleton has even stated that he wishes people would concentrate
on coloration instead of markings.  It's safer usually.

If someone really IS breeding for these things that person should
take the time to learn about some genetic cautions before breeding.
Hopefully, the person is not breeding for these things and careful
culling is being done.

This one has warning signs all over the place; I hope that people are
smart enough to read them.

Folks: if someone wants to sell you a ferret like this either take the
little one for free in anticipation of future health problems or ask to
be paid to take it if you think that you might not be able to afford
special care.
----

Little one, Andy, the reason you can't have more than a taste of grapes
or raisins is because for some reason they have been causing sudden
kidney failure in ferrets and dogs who have too much of them.  No one
knows why, but it is something recent (so may be a fungus that hasn't
been common before, or a new farming product, or something else).  No
one else seems to have this problem but you ferrets and dogs do.  It
is one of the things that Dr. Kawasaki will be talking about in the
upcoming International Ferret Congress Symposium (info at
http://ferretcongress.org and while you are these if you want to read
about grapes or raisins and dogs use the ASPCA Poisoning Help Site link
in the critical references and you'll find it).
----

Alex wrote:
>One came up to my husband, put his hand on my husbands shoulder and
>looked up, saying in a hushed voice, "satellites falling.....got to be
>careful", then shuffled away.

No, no, it was "Satellite's falling..." and therefore a clear reference
to Lily's interaction with the vat of woad!  Tut, tut!  She is so pretty
as a blue girl.  Now as long as she doesn't go lifting her kilt to taunt
any enemy combatants...