From:
"Amoreena G. Ralya" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 1996 14:50:33 -0400
I'm curious to know how people on the FML feel about having the little
pawless one know that it doesn't have any paws: I've met a lot of dogs and
cats who've had a paw or even leg removed because of cancer &c.  who seem
like they don't even know that it's gone, and get along fine with other dogs
and cats.  I know that having all four paws gone are different, but just
because the little pawless one doesn't have the same ends to his feet
doesn't mean that he can't enjoy romping around with other ferrets.

Sure, it's necessary to be cautious about having his limbs heal first, but
when it's hopefully done & fully healed, IMO it seems to be more of an
injustice than a favor to either limit / not let him play with other
ferrets, and to keep reminding him that he's "different".  Ever read the
children's book about the little red hen who, during the course of a really
cold winter, lost all the toes on her feet?  In essence, she ran on
rounded-ended limbs, but after a brief adjustment period with the other
chickens she did fine.  The author, if I recall correctly, based this story
on real events involving his pet hen.

To show a sort of parallel in hope: There's a golden retriever (who owns a
friend of mine) running around the garden and happily bothering the cats and
hooman beans in suburban NY who has had two legs amputated on one side
because of a spreading cancer, who, despite missing not only two paws but
two entire legs, is one of the most rambunctious, friendly, and
happy-go-lucky dogs I've ever met --- and boy are the cats scared of him
when he charges them out of nowhere.  =)

Please give the little pawless one a chance to have a "normal" life.

                                        a ha'penny's all I could afford,
                                        ;P   Anna G. Ralya