From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1992 13:45:49 -0400
 Subject:  Ferret List Issue 294

O.K. everyone.  We all want to help Chere out, but if we are going to
be at all usefull, we need to coordinate our efforts.  I have a fund
raiser/goods collection going on here in many local pet stores and vets.
But, it is for the humane society down there as well as Chere and
Angela.  (I doubt we would have much response otherwise)   I emptied 4
of the money cans yesterday, and from late Sunday until Tuesday afternoon
there was almost $37 in just 4 cans.  So people are donating, you just
need to make some fliers to wrap around cans and get them out there.  Then
it's just a matter of picking them up every few days.

We are also collecting pet goods, I have my first pickup this afternoon,
and I also have one tomorrow which will include a cage.  One of the area
pet stores has put an ad on the radio, requesting goods be collected, I'm
unclear as to whether I will be shipping them out or they will.  (If they do
all will probably go to the humane society, instead of a [relatively] small
specialized shelter)

If you are a member of a club, give them a call and tell them to coordinate
a pet relief drive.  If you aren't involved with a club, let me know,
I'll see if the AFA will allow you to use their name on the fliers.  Or,
you could ask your church, employer, vet, or even a local pet store if you
could use their name if you do all the work.

I'll type in the wording I used on my fliers later, for any who are interested.

Back to coordinating our efforts, we need someone to act as a liason to
Angela and Chere, to find out what they need right now.  It won't do much
good if all of us send down food at the same time, so they have 200 lbs of
food and no litter or shampoo.  Any volunteers???  For now, how about sending
a message to the mailing list whenever you ship something down.

Since there are so many clubs are represented on GEnie, if someone could
keep track of donations over there as well, and send them back here (and
send ours there), then we should have a pretty good operation going.

Also, if anyone knows of places where we can order this stuff wholesale,
let us know.  Especially heavy objects like litter and food, it would be
much cheaper to just order them and have them shipped in.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree