From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 22:54:33 -0500
Beth Stanley wrote:

>Hi everyone! I remember about a month back we were talking about who
>had been contacted by email from a man who wanted to make a donation
>to the shelters and was asking a lot of info on the shelters.
>
>Today I received a Cashier's Check from a Johnson Cole for over
>$3000.00! I am having the bank research it to make sure it is real,
>but has anyone received one? Just wanted to check with you all. It
>was made out to me personally, but I do not know anyone by that name.
>It came by UPS Express Envelope from Branford, CT.

It may be a legitimate donation BUT it can take weeks for a cashiers
check to REALLY clear, even though the bank may make the money
available to you before that. So if you can, leave the money alone for
at least a month. That way, if the bank says "oops, bad check" you will
not have spent money you don't have.

The way the scam works it to get you to send off some of the money
after you think the check has cleared. So whatever else you do, do NOT
send any of the money back or to a third party. Many people think a
cashier's check is "as good as cash". Actually, a personal check would
be better, both for you, for tracking, and for the donor, since a
cashier's check does not necessarily provide a record for a a 501c3
donation/deduction.

Hopefully, this is a legitimate donation, and the donor is just
ignorant of how much his actions resemble the scam.

-Claire

More information on the cashier's check scam:
http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/counterfeit_cashier's_check.htm