From:
Monica Istvan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:34:23 -0600
You asked for it, here you go.

She's a sweetie to people, but she just doesn't like other ferrets.
Tolerates the cats well, uses a litter box (if there's one available).  She
LOVES rubber - tried to pull the weatherstripping off from the bottom of my
front door!  She also must like to run because she was chewing on my
sneakers this morning.  Nah, must be the rubber.  Loves Iams, kitten or
cat, and is eating like a horse - I have never seen a female eat this much!
Will drink from a bottle or a dish, but prefers the dish.  If it's a
communal litter box, she smells which corner is 'used' i.e.  other animal's
corner, and pulls the clean litter away from the used area.  Then she
decides which unused corner she wants to use and moves the clean litter
there.  She finally relaxed enough today to play with me a bit, but almost
fell off the bed!  (It's a captain's bed, so it's a looooong way down!)
Gave me that look - OK, I'm hanging here off the edge - WHAT ARE YOU
WAITING FOR?  Get Me UP!

Smart as anything too!  She figured out that she can squeeeeeze out of my
cat condo between the bars at the corners (they're just a hair wider than
the rest), and she barely fits.  If she gains any more weight, she won't!  I
haven't had a ferret in years that figured out that they can fit through the
corners.  Anyway, she spent a portion of the day yesterday (Tuesday) out
with Buddy, my newest kid.  He's a hulking ferret at 1.5kg (that's about
6lbs), and shakes at the sight of another ferret, but it's not against his
morals to lunge and bite.  I came home yesterday, and he was just hiding in
his bathroom.  I was a little surprised, but I put Whitefang back in her
cage and hoped she'd curl up and go to sleep so the my girls could have a
run.  No such luck.  She got herself half-way out and decided to turn
herself right side up to have a disagreement with Nreese, (you have to be
sideways to squeeze out).  Well, that did it, she was stuck with her head
pointing right at the "outside" food dish where my girls were eating.  Ha!

Anyhow, we had a couple of intros again last night - she pounced on Nreese
and Nreese wasn't too happy about it, but none of the screaming and fighting
as before.  With a bunch of acclimation, I think she'll tolerate other
ferrets, but it's only been a few days.  She's stopped shuttling food to her
chache stash under my TV, but she does hiss at you if you pick her up and
she had other plans.  She has only tried to bite me once, I think she
thought I was another ferret, she couldn't see through the fabric and we
were playing.  I made it perfectly clear that she wasn't allowed to do that,
and she played 'nice' after that.  She loves raisins and tonic lax, she also
like those stale Pounce treats those with cats have lying around.

She can open cupboard doors, I had to put two strong elastics on the handles
(my girls could care less, so I never did put the Kiddie latches on the
cupboard doors).

She's a drawer climber and a cage climber (she found my pens on top of the
cat condo yesterday).  She wants to chew my velcro sandals (not the velcro -
the sandals!).  She takes her meds like a little trooper, and she uses the
Yesterday's News - Softer recycled litter.  She thinks cats are OK.  Chases
one of them.  I don't know if she is totally deaf, but I have surprised her
on a number of occasions when she should have heard me coming.  If she knows
you are around, she watches for you and guesses what you plan to do (or
manipulates you - who knows).

She is pretty gentle if you feed her raisins or kibble as a treat - but
she's not one to make sure she has the correct object in her teeth before
chewing.  OW!  Serves me right for getting right in there.  She doesn't give
kisses yet, but she will sniff you.  She'd rather be down and exploring.
Silly goof got into my 4" cardboard play tubes, and forgot to duck, all I
heard was "scratch, bonk, scratch bonk" all the way down!  She came out of
there looking at me like I was killing her and it was all my fault.

She hates being scruffed, one of those ferrets that knows to tighten up the
skin over her back so it's tough to pick her up.  There are some ferrets out
there that will NOT be limp when you scruff them, she's one.

Anyhow, she's doing just fine, we rotate play times/play rooms (kind of a 3
ring circus!), and she's welcome to stay however long it takes until we get
her travel arrangments done up.  Apparently she is still undergoing
treatment for ear mites (they like the Ivomec shots up here at $15 X 3, it's
a cash cow).  I prefer the liquid like Aurex, I have had much better success
in a shorter time span with it than the injections.  I'll be reassessing it
when we go back to the vet to get her stitches out in the next week or so.
Other than that, not much else to say, any questions, drop me a line, but I
only have weekday access at work, so keep that in mind when you are
expecting a response - sometimes it gets pretty hairy for me and it takes me
a couple of days to get back to folks.
-=-=-
The Tornado Trio, Kitty Duo, and our new Sassy little 'sister'.