From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 18:07:38 -0500
Hi All:

Well, Senate Bill 875 "Captive Wild Animal Protection: An Act to Strengthen
and Control Laws and Protect Human Health and Safety by Regulating
Possession and Sale of Exotic Wild Animals" has reared its ugly head again,
& if it's passed, it could spell bad news for N.C.  fuzzies!  We at TriFl
(Triangle Ferret Lovers) need help and advice - quick - on how we can best
arm ourselves to fight this bill!

The bill was introduced by Sen.  Kerr last April in response to problems
relating to wolf-hybrids and dangerous animals.  It was killed by Senate
Judiciary Committee II last year, but is being reconsidered because of a
tiger-mauling incident (a captive tiger mauled a young boy) in Dec.  While
ferrets are not specifically listed as "wild" animals, they are also not
listed as "domestic" (and are therefore not exempt) animals either.  While
most would agree that protecting the public against truly wild and dangerous
animals (like tigers, elephants, bears, etc.) is necessary and desirable, we
are concerned about the implications it could have on our pet ferrets.

This bill will restrict or prohibit ownership of "wild" animals in the state
of N.C., and could become effective as early as July 31, 1996!!!  It would
prohibit "wild animals," for all but certain individuals and organizations
(academic organizations, animal control/species enhancement/animal
protection officials, etc.) The bill does give local governments the right
to exempt certain animals (including ferrets), but that doesn't mean they
have to, and of course that could vary from county to county.  I won't print
the entire bill here (long), but if you would like more info.  about it ,
please check our club web page at http://doomsday.phy.duke.edu/ferrets/

I've been trying to get further info.  & talk with local officials, but have
only been able to hook up with the director of our local (county) animal
control dept.  He was tentatively supportive, doesn't know much about
ferrets - though we had a long talk & I'm sending him more info.  - and had
some good suggestions for us in approaching state officials.  He was mostly
concerned about truly dangerous animals as well as the threat of rabies &
stated that if there IS a "proven-effective rabies vaccine for ferrets, he
would probably consider them domestic animals!  He suggested we put together
some "guidelines" we can live with, & work to educate both the public and
local/state officials about ferrets.

Do any of you who have been involved with similar efforts have suggestions
for our "guidelines" or how to deal with officials (and the general public)?
We already do a fair amount of educating & positive public relations for
ferrets, but can always use suggestions on what "worked" in other areas!

Even though this may not be a REAL threat, we want to be ready in case
it is.

Thanks in advance!

Karen (Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue/TriFL)