Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:03:58 EST
Last night, about 5pm.  He was slowly going downhill but I continued
doing fluids and treating him supportively but it wasn't to be.  When I
came home from work and saw him, I knew that it was time and we made that
last trip to the vet, Chip and I.  I snuggled him and whispered in his
ear "no more meds, Chip - not this time".  He went peacefully with me
holding him, rubbing his funny bald butt with no tail - his skin was so
soft.  He wasn't here long - less than a year - but he crawled deep into
my heart with his attitude and outlook - got a treat, mom?  thats all he
needed to be happy and he would wiggle and run off.  I guess having no
tail affected his gait but it sure was cute.  He endured two surgeries -
one for his tail amputation (we worried that the growth was malignant)
and his insulinoma/adrenal surgery and bounced back from both well but we
knew that his right adrenal would recur - and it did with a vengeance.
Lupron even at double the normal doses barely kept him with hair and we
knew that our time with him was even more precious.

He will be buried on our dune, surrounded by many ferrets who will show
him the ropes at the Bridge.  Love ya, Chip - wait for me.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
www.ferrethaven.org