From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:46:40 -0400
Let me just add to this - I don't have a complete list of mammals that
carry rabies but no not all mammals.  Chipmunks don't (I asked the vet
because of Giesela's encounters), squirrels don't, I don't think rabbits
do?  Mostly it seems to be bats, racoons, skunks, fox and of course cats
and dogs need rabies shots.  I wonder (pure amateur speculation here) if
its more a carnivore thing?  Of course I can't find the right Dog Fancy or
was it Dog World?  right now but they recently had a little statistics box
on rabies.  I remember doing the math and approximatly 2 people a year have
tested positive for rabies in something like the last 20 years (this is a
straight average I don't know if the cases clumped in certain years or
not).  The highest percentage of vectors (i.e. what they got the rabies
from) was bats.

Mary, Booker and the fuzzbutts Boris and Giesela
Anyone know about Ground hogs?  They seem to be rodents so I think not but
we have a bunch around here so I'd like to know.