From:
Ed Belisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:25:22 -0700
>From:    "Stephanie L. Arno" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cage question
> ... I want to put carpet in my ferrets cage...

When I carpeted my cage, I was also worried about them getting under it.
But I didn't need glue...

First, I measured the floor areaby placing the cage on the carpet and taking
off a half inch or so on all sides to determine my corners.

Second, I extended all four sides about 4-6 inches, so when the fold up it
looks loke the bottom of a box, or tray.  (unfolded it looks like a very
stubby plus sign.

Third, roll it up, stuff it in the cage, check the fit, and there you go.  I
had to take mine out to trim it back some, but you get the idea.  Its a snug
fit and they never got under it.  A piece of carpet I had on top of the cage
(no walls), I cut slits in the carpet and tied it to the cage with twine.

My monsters nailed it regularly, and it smelled very bad after a while.
Somthing like a steam cleaning every six months wouldn't hurt.

Their current cage is that tall collapsable one you may have seen in stores
or catalogs.  All surfaces are high impact plastic or towel hammocks.  I've
replaced one of the really steep ramps with a 4 foot spiral 4" drainage
pipe.  The towels can go in the wash.  The cage is easy to clean, and I have
an escape tunnel (4" drainage) that leads to my second bathroom (where the
toys are).  No more carpet for me (for now).

--
ed belisle