From:
Karen Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:24:01 -0800
First, I am so glad Ping returned home safely! Through the years there
have been a number of good suggestions on how maybe to find a lost
ferret although I don't recall seeing my tried and true last ditch tip.
I won't go into the details as I am not going to bash my husband across
the internet. Suffice it to say my beloved red eyed albino "Ino" was
not in the house when the kids and I returned late one evening from
their little league game. We had total free run at the time. The house
was completely ferret proofed. With the exception of one hoomin!

It was early April in the northwest with temperatures still cold at
night and plenty of raccoons on the property. Flashlights were burnt
out searching and voices strained while whiffing the ferretone bottle
darn near the whole of our then five acres. A good three hours passed
before having to call it quits for the night. Not a word was spoken by
my two children to their father as the begrudgingly went off to bed
full of prayers. Despite the utility bill, the living room door and
family room door were propped open by me and I snuggled in on the
couch across from one of the doors waiting for Ino's return. This was
many years ago and the thought at that time was that ferrets aren't
smart enough to return home or even remember where they came from. I
disagreed as I knew they had a brilliant memory and always remembered
what I didn't want them to do or get into! It's just that when they do
return from their little romp and come back to their escape hatch, they
are not able to bark or meow to get in. Husband got up and went to work
the next morning, without his packed lunch. Hmmm? Kids got up and first
thing they asked was if Ino came home. I had slept off and on through
the night on the couch excepting should he come home that he would make
me aware that he was home. I sadly said I don't think so. My son said
he was going to check all his cubbies anyway. Low and behold Ino was in
his favorite cubby as if he had been there all along. Of course being
all white the tell tale signs of filthy feet and a very dirty face were
evidence that he had had quite a good time on the outside. My point
being that if you must give up the search at night, leaving access back
into the house may bring a pleasant surprise in the morning. I know
that the weather can be quite warm or cold at certain times of the
year so this may not always be feasible. After my experience I built
makeshift units for both the sliding glass door and the front door
that secured both doors in an open position with a small opening at the
bottom yet providing a closure the rest of the way up. Never had to use
them but had them just in case.

DMK ferrets - I was not able to adopt a DMK ferret although I wanted to
so badly and at the very least I would have loved to have been able to
take any other rescue to free up space at one of the shelters but I am
at my financial maximum with nine at this time. But I want to say thank
you and God Bless all of you that helped in any way. I love hearing
about them and thank you for sharing their new lives with us!! Please
keep it up. AND WOLFY, I loved the video of Jillian's first dance!!!!
May her and all the other's dance card be forever full!!!!!

--
Karen Young
Ferret Affair