From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 00:58:02 GMT
Hi everyone-

Would those of you who know anything about Lupron, please let me know your
opinion of using it in a ferret that *might* be adrenal (under one year of
age).  Something the vet mentioned.  I don't know enough to decide, either
way.

It's Girlie again.  She somehow started getting better on her own after
her course of Pred was finished and after the Lasix, babyfood, etc., was
stopped.  Her bloated/distended abdomen returned to normal, as well as the
swelling in her neck (which her vet didn't think was lymph nodes).  She was
absolutely fine for about a month.  She was eating dry kibble and drinking
on her own (finally just water, too, instead of just electrolytes), and her
stools were back to normal, etc.  Her eyes were deep, dark red again, with
blue rings around them, and her sleep smell had returned.

Now her eyes are dark, and her smell is gone again.  Last Saturday she
started to bloat again.  Monday I put her back on Lasix, and yesterday her
vet increased it to twice a day.  She's also getting pediatric Benadryl
in case it's allergy related, although very doubtful.  I have to start
her on another antibiotic, and basically, just wait and see.  Her appetite
and will to drink on her own has also diminished again.  I give her
electrolytes (5-10 mls.) every two hours or so.  She willingly eats
Gerber's chicken, to which I add one dropper of Tomlyn Ferret Vitamins once
a day, and lots of off-brand Pedialyte.  I don't want her to gain too much
weight, adding to her discomfort or to the mix.  She won't touch her 'soup'
if I add ANY ground TF to it.

Since about March she's had a couple of x-rays, blood work, barium x-rays,
an abdominal ultrasound and cardiopulmonary ultrasound w/ECG.  Nothing came
back abnormal or wrong.  Her vet has, on more than one occasion, consulted
with a very well-known ferret vet.  Both are stumped!  She was born around
August or September (the pet store rescue (biter), which I didn't get an
exact month/date of birth on).  She has been shedding 'late' and quite a
bit.  She's been biting my husband and 19 y/o son for a couple of months
now.  Not to do harm, but definitely a bit more aggressively, and she is
more determined than ever to drag them away.  She's not biting me.  And...
this hubby/son biting has nothing to do with her being a 'biter' before I
rescued her from being put down, either.  She seems a bit cool to me.  Vet
thinks it's the bloating/swelling or a circulatory problem.  We have an
appt.  on Monday.  There is somewhere I can take her before then, but would
very much prefer not to.

I really don't have any ideas anymore.  I just know she's way too young to
be having any problems, especially like these.  I'm open to anyone's
advice/ideas/opinions.

Thanks, and sorry so long.

Sonya