From:
Lori Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:01:08 +0000
Marlene, I have to agree with you, we adopted our Scooter from a
shelter almost 4 years ago without knowing he was deaf. Being ferret
newbies at the time we were able to put two and two together not too
long after we brought him home and realized that he was indeed deaf. I
just want to agree that I really don't think he has any idea that he
is different from the other ferrets at all. They still communicate with
each other all the time. The funny part about it, is that Scooter comes
when called better than the other two who can HEAR me calling them! The
only difference is that Scooter has to be able to see me pat the floor
or feel the vibrations. If he sees or feels it, he does not dilly
dally, he runs right over to me (or whoever is calling him!) Oly and
Annabelle will just look at me and decide if it will benefit them if
they come or not! LOL Over all I have to agree that as far as having
a deaf ferret, he is no less loving or intelligent that the other two.
You would never even tell he is deaf except when I make noises that
scare the others (vacuum, blender, opening up a trash bag) he just
stands there looking at me like nothing is happening! And Scoots is an
unbelievable guy who is so loving and playful... I would not trade his
for the world.

Now almost 4 year later Scooter has Lymphoma. He is on Pred twice daily
and enjoys his soupies. He has been going strong for two months since
we received the news. Our goal is to keep him comfy, happy and
extremely loved and cuddled for the rest of his time (which we are
hoping will be a LOOOONG time!)

Have a wonderful Christmas and New year FML friends!
Lori Olson, and of course Scooter, Annabelle and Oly :)