From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 1980 20:40:46 -0500
Hi all,

Now that I've caught up a bit after the holidays, I just wanted to add my
two cents (for what it's worth), to the nail-clipping for blood debate.  As
a vet tech, there are several disadvantages that I experience using this
procedure.  1), you cannot control the amount of blood loss as accurately,
2) the pain, (like Bill or Di alluded to) is more intense than a simple
needle puncture because of the increased nerve supply to the quick of the
nailbed.  Once a, say, jugular or vena caval stick is done, no more pain.
But a nail quickening is similar to a stubbed toe...ouchy for the whole
day.  There is no excuse for a vet to need to quick a ferret's nail, there
are adequate peripheral, as well as jugular and vena cava sites to choose
from.  For home blood glucose monitoring, I still would recommend using a
paw pad as opposed to the nail, if feasible.  Bleeding is less, and I would
imagine it would be less painful.  I have seen dogs limp for a week after
a nail break, but will readily walk on a larger, more serious paw pad
laceration.  But, why would we need to be monitoring our pets that often at
home, anyway?  It's not like with insulin, where you would need to adjust
the dose based on the animals glucose.  I amy have missed some of the
thread for the original reason this topic was brought up.  If so, I
apologize in advance for any repitition or confusion in this post.

Pam- We have had (1) Imrab reaction to date that I know of, at the clinic
where I work.

Terry- I take my guys shopping with me whenever I get the chance!  It's a
great way to "spread the knowledge"---and Walmart is really nice about it.
I have a small crate set up in the car, and then I carry them with me in
the store in a snuggle sack that has a vent hole and a zipper...so it's
escape proof.  They kinda look like I have one of those baby papoooses on
my chest!

Jody- I thought the story of Sebastion and his "placebo" effect was
incredibly amazing!!  I would love if you could e-mail me with a more
indepth story of his symptoms, etc. so I can share it at our monthly
rounds!!!

Michele
missing Finny terribly.......