From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:13:26 -0400
>As I have not come across adrenal ferrets in the UK, can anyone let me
>know about first the singes that I should be looking for and how it
>progresses

There have been a number of cases in which European ferrets had adrenal
growths or had insulinoma but folks in many countries aren't used to
considering those as possibilities so they get missed or mis-diagnosed.
(At times with insulinoma symptoms it is pretty necessary to twist arms
to get testing even though it is easy.  BTW, the best write-up for that
is at the AFIP ferrets site by Dr. Bruce Williams.) That sort of thing
happens anywhere just because of the force of habit; there are things
looked for more in Europe which some U.S.  people need to remember more
often, too.  A couple of months ago Dr. William's "Ferrets" article on
adrenal growths came out so if you can get that I really recommend it,
otherwise watch his website for it in about 6 month.

Meanwhile here are a few of the signs:
* bilateral fur loss ANYWHERE forward from the tail (tail fur loss
  can be from adrenal growths but is usually dermal instead)
* swollen vulva (and sometimes secondary vaginal infections or stump
  pyometra)
* dysuria (in females there is greater tendency to get UTIs; in males
  it is even worse because the prostate may become inflamed or even
  cystic sometimes.  Also, note that infections can at times in turn
  lead to some cases of bladder stones)  The inability to urinate is
  very dangerous and calls for immediate emergency vet care.
* anemia (Again, this can be life threatening and requires emergency care)
* redistribution of fat  (The thorax often gets thin and the abdomen
  often gets fat; sometimes fat accumulates more in unusual places.)

If you look in the FML Archives or the FHL Archives you'll find more,
and you will also in a number of websites listed in such useful lists
of health URLs as the ones in the critical refs at
http://www.ferretcongress.org.
There is a GREAT post from Dr. Bruce Williams which first appeared in the
FHL and which I carried to the FML (part of my "job") on why surgery is
so important for adrenal growths even though most are not malignant.

The latest "Ferrets USA" is out.  I have only skimmed it so far but there
is an article by Dr. Sandra Kudrak on different medical signs and what
they can mean, one on ferret natural history, and more.  I did notice
that I was mentioned as using plastic cups and socks for "Mr. Sockie
Head, a game where a ferret runs around blindly.  Just figured I'd let
you know that we never have small plastic cups in house.  We have used
disposable paper cups into which we've poked holes, and sometimes the
ferrets will appropriate our large plastic drinking glasses (way too wide
to get stuck heads) and go roaring around with those on their heads.
(BTW, I really need to get our vet, Joe Martins of Bellemead AH here in
NJ to add himself to the listings at the back of the magazine next year.)

Look at the graphic on page 96 of the latest Sci Am (sleep article)!
It's the issue mentioning strong theory on the cover.

Ear mites:  http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG5781
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG11148
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG3892
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG3740
etc.

Shots: there is one USDA approved rabies vaccine for ferrets: Imrab 3
which has boosters annually for ferrets.  For canine distemper there are
three shots as kits then annually thereafter, and Purevax CD vax for
ferrets appears to have a far lower chance of reactions occurring than
Fervac or Galaxy.  Be sure to use the precautions regularly mentioned
here like staying at the hospital at least a half hour, separating vax,
pre-medicating as preferred by the treating vet, etc.