From:
"Donahue, Suzanna C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:10:12 -0500
Hi all.

I just wanted to add to the ferret allergy topic.  I'm allergic to all
my ferrets, but only tend to actually react when I'm reacting to other
environmental elements (i.e. pollen).  The primary thing I wanted to say
is that I, too, sometimes get skin reactions around my lips from being
too kissy to my ferrets.  I went to a dermatologist who insisted it was
some sort of incurable skin condition, and I completely disagreed with
her opinion.  I believed it was allergic dermatitis.  I decided not to
use any of the steroid creams she gave me, but, instead, used benedryl
cream on the area.  It has worked wonders!!!!

Just a quick update on my ferrets.  Zinc and Pixie are still around,
though they look pretty pathetic.  We keep going to the vet to figure
out what to do with them.  They seem to feel fine -- particularly Zinc.
Pixie was tending to sleep a lot more, but would be alert when awake
for the few minutes she decided to walk around during play time.  The
problem is that their liver levels are quite high (ALT near or above the
1000 level).  We don't know what is the problem.  They've been treated
for helicobacter and are on some sort of antibiotic to treat that
(Actigal??).  Their hair is sparse now, and I'm at a loss as to what the
problem is.  (Both adrenals are out).  But they seem quite happy.  In
fact, Pixie was put on Melatonin, despite my reservations about it, and
she's seemed to be more active lately.  She also had a lupron injection
(in case of ectopic adrenal tissue), so it could be that as well.  Either
way, I'm happy to see her being more active and interested in playing.
Oh yeah, and her (swollen) lymph node biopsy came back as benign -- No
Lymphoma!  My other two (Bug and Riki), thankfully, are doing well.  But
they are younger, so it's to be expected.

Suzanna and the fuzzylicious fuzznosticators