From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1993 11:19:00 -0400
> From:   [log in to unmask]

> My two girls have just been diagnosed as having adrenal tumors
> (in the creatinine/cortisol urine test, where a ratio of
> 10 is normal, Minima's is 20 and Antigone's is 29).  The Xrays

There is NO test that can determine if your ferret has adrenal
tumors.  Dr. Kawasaki worked on trying to refine the cat/dog
tests to get them to work with ferrets but he finally gave up.
So 1.  never pay for a test to check for adrenal tumors and 2.
your ferrets may not actually have them.  I assume, though,
that they are showing other symptoms?

Especially with the 7 year old, if she just has a poor coat, I wouldn't
be so quick to say she has an adrenal tumor.  If she has a swollen
vulva, then it most likely is.  If her vulva's not swollen, and she's
not showing advanced adrenal symptoms (muscle mass loss, thin skin, almost
completely bald), then I would try something like EFA-Z to try to bring
her coat back.  If you do decide that it is an adrenal, then you'll
have to very carefully weigh her condition, age, etc. and decide if
it's worth operating.  When this surgery works it's like a miracle
cure.  But, there is a risk, especially in elderly ferrets.  (If you
want numbers, around 1 in 8-10 don't make it)

Also, if your younger one really is very young (1-2yrs) then an
adrenal is unlikely, although far from unheard of.  You say her teeth
are in good condition, are they also very white or are they getting
sort of clearish (is that a word???) on the tips?  Is she showing
any stiffness in her back (most 5-6 yr olds will start to be getting
stiff)?

Give us some more details.  Why do you think they have adrenals?  What
symptoms?  What is their diet (if just hair loss)?

BTW, if your vet is giving tests for adrenal tumors, which are VERY
common in ferrets and it it well known that NO test is conclusive, maybe
you should seriously consider changing vets.

Here's Dr. Kawasaki's information.  Have your vet give him a call and
they can discuss it.

Dr. Thomas Kawasaki
Old Bridge Veterinary Hospital
3604 Old Bridge Rd.
Woodbridge, VA  22192
703-494-0094

RE:  silver ferret - if the ferret doesn't have mitts, then s/he
can't be a silver.  There was an article on what silver means in a
recent FURO article.

RE:  ear mites - you don't need a prescription for ear mite medicine.
Just drop by your vet and ask for it.  They don't need to see the
ferret.  (BTW, the shot that someone mentioned in the last list was
probably Ivermectine.  All the vets that I've talked with say that
it isn't recommended.  Better to just use a topical solution every
other day for a month.)

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets