From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:06:51 -0500
I really need some encouragement, folks.  I'm probably just a paranoid
ferret mom, but then again, I could be right to worry.  We have two ferret
boys.  Templeton is about two and a half; he's from Marshall Farms, we
adopted him in June, and he was scrawny when we got him, with a thin course
coat.  He hasn't changed much, despite the fact that he's being fed better
food, although his coat is a little softer.  Brae is 13 months old and is
from Path Valley.  His coat has really come in nice and thick for the
winter, and is very soft.  He is also putting on weight; I'm wondering if
he's getting too fat!  This is the first time we've had ferrets for the
winter (I'm not counting last winter when Brae was just a kit), so I don't
know if his weight gain is normal or a concern.  Both ferrets eat TF or a
50/50 mix of TF and Iams Kitten and get daily doses of hairball remedy and
Ferretvite.  Besides wondering if I should put Brae on a diet (cut back on
treats), I'm worried about his inactivity.  He doesn't play much--seems to
tire easily and spends a lot of time flattened on his stomach, resting.  Is
his inactivity/tiredness due to the weight gain?  Or is there something
else that could be wrong here?