From:
Melissa Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:27:32 -0400
>You DO realize that Anthrocon is a convention not for animal lovers but
>for animal LOVERS?!  Or rather, people who dress up in animal suits and
>find it erotic?  You know, "plushies".
>
>Hence the cartoon animal erotica.  SO you may want to think twice about
>letting your daughter keep those horns. :)  I am very happy that everyone
>was so nice, and while it isn't my personal cup of tea, I'm also glad
>that eccentric people are portrayed in a positive light for the positive
>things they did.

I find this a GROSS and insluting generalization.  Perhaps now the people
of SOS will see why I asked to post their reports of the con on some news
sites, because of the negative media portrayal in recent years of
furries.  Furries are no more bizzare, costume wearing stuffed toy
fetishists than Star Trek fans have to dress up like Klingons and talk
about the prime derective to have sex.

News reports tend to like to pick the few weirdos in the crowd to point
out, rather than the boring majority.

Just think, for a moment, how often one negative instence with a ferret
is troted out as 'typical' and repeated in many news sources, but the
hundreds of thousands of loving, fun, good with people ferrets don't
make the news.  The same sorts of newspeople who don't see the point of
reporting anything nice about ferrets because it's not news are the sorts
that don't see the point in writting about furries (or comic book fans,
or science fiction fans) without finding the worst thing to say, to make
it 'interesting'.  Indeed, one furry convention this year had a show
BRING IN THEIR OWN PEOPLE to film because the REAL furries were too
boring!  And of course, they'll show it as the crazy, weird stuff that
happens at a 'furry con'.

You're certainly intitled to your two cents, but I hope as a ferret owner
who has seen how damaging the news can be with ferrets can understand how
they're not always to be trusted to say the whole story on anything
unusual.

Melissa Smith
Ferret owner and 'furry'.