From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:22:00 -0700
I have 4 ferrets, two of whom in the last six months have had surgeries
(Linus for adrenal, Zooey for adrenal & insulinoma).  Both of them now
are on meds for inflammatory bowel disease, and are being monitored (blood
test) every 4-6 weeks.  Linus has an ongoing infection in his liver , he's
been on antibiotics for a month now.  Linus is 5 and Zooey is 6.

My other two ferrets are Martin, who is 3 1/2 and Sybil, who is 1 3/4.
They are both healthy.  Martin is a lazy lap-ferret.  He always has been,
it is not a function of his age.  He loves to give kisses and will cling to
you if you take him outside of his comfort zone (at the moment, my room).
Martin had a reaction to a distemper vac a couple years ago so he doesn't
get that anymore.  None of them have had rabies shots either since Martin's
reaction (vet & I discussed this).  Sybil is absolutely 100% healthy Tcept
she's missing an ear flap (she looks extremely cute lopsided).  SheUs a
little excitable, and is very vocal when she's flipping out on the bed.
She does need to be told (firmly) not to chew on ankles or elbows.

I love my ferrets very very much.  I have always given them the vet care
they need.  They live in a 4 story ferret cage with lots of sleeping areas,
hammocks and sweatshirts.  Sybil used to have tons of stuffed toys but
Martin methodically chewed on every one, so now she just has plastic balls
w/bells inside.  They get play time outside their cage every day.  My
roomie has a cat that has (finally) decided to accept Linus the ferret and
now they play together every day (wrestling).

I have been thinking about what would happen if Martin or Sybil got sick.
Likely that is not going to happen to Sybil anytime soon, but Martin is
daily getting closer and closer to Linus & Zooey's age.  At this moment
in my life I cannot afford to get him any surgery he might need.  Please
believe me when I say this is not a decision i come to lightly.  Linus' &
Zooey's surgeries came to just under $2000, and both are on current meds
that require monthly vet visits and blood tests.  I say that b/c I don't
want anyone thinking I am not willing to follow through with vet care for
my ferrets.  I don't make tons of money, but I have saved money
specifically for emergency vet care (and will still do so).  Unfortunately
at this moment that money is gone:(

I would like some honest (and nice) opinions about what people think is a
better situation for my ferrets--should I keep them together, knowing I
can't afford a third surgery, or should I try to find a home for Martin &
Sybil that will be able to provide for a medical emergency?  I posted about
them before but my heart wasn't in it and I didnUt follow through (I did
respond to emails).  My heart is not in it now either; however, I would
feel absolutely horrible if Martin needed a surgery & I could not provide
it.

Sorry this is so long:(  I welcome any thoughts or suggestions (no flames
please).

Minta