Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:37:28 -0500
I took 3 of my ferrets in for a teeth cleaning today.  One had a blood test
in the beginning of January and the other two had their blood test today.
When I went to pick them up the vet recommended that I start feeding them
k/d diet (used for urinary and bladder infections) because some of their
levels were off.  I apologize for not knowing exactly what it was but I
think it was C or Cr that was off and PH?  I just don't remember but
anyways it meant that there could be a potential for kidney problems.  All
three of these ferrets are approximately 2 years old and this shouldn't be
a concern yet.  He said that it is probably because of their diet being too
high in protein.  Now, I am not one to normally disagree with my vet but I
had three other ferrets in last month for teeth cleaning and blood tests
were okay and the one who had her blood test in Jan.  was okay then also.
I have not changed any food and so I am having a hard time believing that
is the cause.  Why these two young ferrets would have problems with the
protein and my others- including a 7 and a 4 year old do not is something
that I cannot understand.  Does anyone know of something else that could be
causing the levels to be off?  I am very concerned that there is something
else here being overlooked.  By the way, I feed a large mix of foods with
the protein levels between 32-38 but mostly around 35.  Not as high as I
have heard recommended.  Is it just me or does something here just not seem
right?  Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Michelle, Dave and the crew of 7
Tish, Dargo, Lexx, Cinny, Fingers, Chiana, and Lyekka