From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 10:23:13 +0100
I had to have my DEW hob put to sleep yesterday he was around 7 y.o.  He'd
had cancer for several months, probably liver.  Jasper had been losing
weight over the past few days but yesterday he threw up after drinking
water.

I rang the vet and an hour later Julie was checking him over.  She offered
to give him a cortisone injection that would probably keep him going over
the weekend.  Jasper wasn't eating, he wasn't playing and all he wanted to
do was sleep.  I just didn't want him to linger on like Bill, even though
Bill was in a coma and didn't know what was happening it just wasn't
dignified.

Julie asked me what was the method used for ferrets.  Jasper was too busy
licking Ferretone off the palm of my hand to even notice the injection.
Julie did give me the option to leave the surgery but I opted to stay with
him.  IMO it is best that the owner stays to see their pet off on the final
journey - I know it's not easy but if can stay with them.

Fritz goes in on Tuesday morning for a blood test he's lost nearly all
his hair off his back and tail.  We've ruled out flea allergy and skin
parasites, so that leaves an endocrine problem or unknown.  Fritz is coming
up to 7 - he's a little, disabled cinnamon hob but he's so active.  I'm
just watching him now, charging around a little hurricane.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare.
Membership Secretary & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 30 April 1999
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath, Button,
Bill, Bobby & Jasper