From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:01:50 -0400
Warning: Graphic poop details follow:)
Vet Question: Approx 2 months ago I had Boris' scent glands removed because
they seemed to stay semi impacted or full and had to be expressed.  Since
then his poop has been much skinnier and "broken" looking.  Dr. Dutton
replied tomy original question about this (Thanks) that it might be post op
swelling.  Well it has persisted and now he backs into a corner, seems to be
going and nothing happens.  Not all the time, he is still pooping, but this
trying seems to be happening more frequently (occassionally there seems to
be a little gas with a little poop, I wonder if the gas is why his poop
looks "broken".  I took him to the vet today and she palpitated his abdomen
and felt nothing.  His temp was normal but poop came out with the
thermometer which has never happened before and he had gone at home just
before we left for the vet (I had to wake him up).  Something is going on
but what????  His attitude is a little off but not a whole lot.  Please
Please Please - any ideas?  (Also because he is a year old I had a baseline
CBC done and it was "ok" according to the vet).

Dr. Williams - I tried to e-mail you the path report of a friends ferret who
died - the closest anyone could come was possible eosinophilis
gastroenteritis (Dr. Brown).  The path report was "inconclusive" and
recommended further biopsy - but the ferret was dead and buried by that
time.  If you didn't get the report and would like to could you post that?
Also - could you explain this disease?
[Moderator's note: He might not have gotten it - the internet service
provider he's using seems to have been having some major outages.  BIG]

Also: I second Catherine's search for something for Giesela to chew on - she
is also a material eater (she seems to like to do this when shes tired and
just getting ready to fall asleep and prefers damp or wet material, yes she
gets plenty of water) and I was also wondering if she just needs something
to chew on - nyla bones?  I'm pretty sure rawhide would cause a blockage.
There must be something?

Thanks
Mary, Boris (I'm kinda having a rough time here) and Giesela