From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:04:35 -0500
Dear FMLers,

Last week I posted about New England Ferret Foster, Education, and Rescue
(NEFFER), Inc's upcoming Hammock Bee, and I thought I'd give an update:

Our Hammock Bee was GREAT!!!  We had 7 busy "bees" all afternoon,
cutting, pinning, sewing, and ironing.  In a five-hour stretch, we turned
out 30 completed hammocks, and still have a pile cut out and ready to be
sewn!  We had three machines going at once so at times all you could hear
was the whirring of sewing machines as the stitchers seamed up piles of
material into cozy ferret beds!  These hammocks will be distributed
amongst the ferret shelters of New England as part of NEFFER's holiday
gift to the ferrets in shelter care!

This project turned out to be a great way to get ferret folks together,
and I would highly recommend it to any group looking to involve members
in a fun activity.  It's not necessary for anyone to be a highly trained
seamstress to put together hammocks - we had one person who cut, one
person who pinned, one person who turned things right-side-out after
they'd been sewn, and the three stitchers.  Once we got into a rhythm,
the hammocks started piling up, and the time flew as we had movies going
and snacks floating around.  And, of course, the conversation as always
turned to the funny antics of our fuzzy friends.  What better way to
spend a rainy Saturday afternoon?

So, for any gorup looking for a bonding activity that will also produce
some great results for fuzzies, consider putting together a Hammock Bee!
Ask people to bring their own machines, and see if anyone has scraps of
fabric they'd be willing to donate.  It only takes 1/2 yard of fabric to
make a hammock!  Even a small group of folks could make a pile of
hammocks for a shelter in just one afternoon - heck, we made 30!

If any group is interested in doing this and would like some help on
organizing or some instructions on making hammocks, please feel free to
contact me and I will be happy to give any advice or assistance I can.

Dookings,

Heather Wojtowicz
New England Ferret Foster, Education and Rescue (NEFFER), Inc.
www.neferrets.org