From:
Tara Radford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 01:48:27 -0700
Hi Rosemary;)

I wonder if you missed my post on CMF..... I have diabetes & a VERY well
calibrated meter... Gabriel,my lil petite albino had crashed.....he was
staring,hind legs were weak & his tummy very bloated.  I could not get
blood from a pad so i clipped a nail short (OMG,it was awful;((

HOW do most of you get blood??

It read 54 so i gave him a 1/4 of a 5 mg pred.not much...he seemed to
respond.The next day i went to feed him Gerbers Turkey with pred &
noticed he was still lethargic,now nauseous & his tummy very bloated &
blue.....

So we rushed him to the Vet.She did
X- Rays & his abdominal cavity was filled with air;( His tummy should of
been pea size but instead it took over 3/4ths of his cavity with just
bubbles behind.They makeshifted a tube to "burp" him,she had only burped
dogs & cows,i was a wreck..

They put him nite nite,took blood,gave fluids, & inserted this
contraption down into his tummy..,it worked!!  She got it out!!!!!
My baby would Live!!

As he was waking up (they weren't sure he would live;( labs started
coming back.BGs were 357!!! 54 the day before i self medicated;(( X
rayed again & he looked great..

Vet was at a loss as to what this was before,really had her baffled now!!
Most everything was normal with white cells up a bit... So we STOPPED
pred,duh......

Started 80 cc's fluids twice a day (in 4 sessions) Baytril injectable,
Amoxi injectable,& Reglan for nausea.

Took him home & he was much better.Next day we took more blood & his BG
was at 102..WHY? Who knows but we were HAPPY!!!! X/rays again,showed
nothing abnormal,he was fine...

He is still,months later running a good BG.What was it? A possible
reaction to the pred,a pancreas attack,any number of things but i will
NEVER self treat with any meds....without FIRST getting a diagnosis from
my Vet..

That was a $500.00 lesson;(

So just a heads up.... I'm very happy you saved your baby,tho Rosemary;))
Just be VERY VERY careful!!  I just worry that self diagnosis & giving
meds,and things doing so well, may be in the minority??

Good job with all you do!
Much Love,
Tara;-)