From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:34:22 -0400
I thought I would provide 2 links that I think provide some excellent
information.

The first is a link to an article by noted veterinarian Dr. Susan
Brown, titled "Rethinking the Ferret Diet". It explains what ferrets
need to meet their nutritional needs, and offers ways of meeting these
needs, whether you are feeding a raw or whole prey diet, or using
commercially prepared foods.
<http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=479&S=1&SourceID=43>

The second link is to an article that discusses the pros and cons of
various feeding methods. Whether you feed a commercially prepared
diet, a homemade cooked diet, or a so called natural diet, there are
downsides. The article looks at each method, and lists the main pros
and cons. And, while the article is mainly geared toward the feeding of
dogs and cats, the comments made can apply to other companion animals
as well. http://www.petsynergy.com/overview.html

My own personal opinion is that there is no one correct way to provide
a nutritious diet for a ferret. I think that while it may be more
challenging, a proper diet can be met with commercially prepared foods,
including kibble. Kibble is harder on the teeth, and many of the ones
currently being sold contain too many grains and carbohydrates for
optimum health for a ferret. But, there are some foods that are
acceptable and contain no grains.

Feeding a natural diet or a homemade cooked diet can be very costly,
and if you aren't careful, you can easily feed a diet that is not
balanced. On the other hand, people who feed these diets claim that
the extra spent on the foods is saved in veterinary bills.

My own experience is that while the importance of diet should not be
overlooked, there are many other factors affecting a ferret's health.
I have used kibble for many years, and have had relatively healthy
and long lived ferrets. Currently, I utilize a mix of all 3 types
of feeding techniques, with some of my ferrets choosing to eat only
kibble, and others choosing to eat only prey animals. I will admit
to being new to feeding a raw diet, and so at this time, I can not
really comment on which produces better results.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/