From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 01:12:49 -0400
I have read the FML since I brought home adopted ferret from a shelter
almost 7 years ago. I am blessed to have a very old 8 year old ferret
who thinks he is 2, and another who is 3 years and thinks he can fly
and read the Wall Street Journal. So I preface this by thanking you all
for the information I have read over the years without having posted.

The problem:

I moved into my current home about 2 years ago with my ferrets and last
summer noticed a few bugs I identified as carpet beetles. Unfortunately
previous homeowner was somewhat of a slob to put it nicely. House was
priced right. So I have been vacuuming everything once or twice a week
but this year it is worse. The larvae don't really go in the ferret
room because I put down vinyl floor. And ferrets would eat them. But
the rest of the house is some vile wall-to-wall carpet that must have
been pre-filthed at the factory and I am finding the carpet beetle
larvae in biblical proportions even though I now vacuum until my
neighbors knock on my door. Sounds like a story Alexandra would write
on an bad day but it is true. Gross crawly things in carpet. Gahh!

I got in touch with a couple of exterminators but can't get upfront
answers on how they would treat this and if it would be safe for pets.
Don't like pesticides in the house anyway.

Questions:

1. Should I try steam-cleaning every floor surface? Rent one of those
carpet things that weigh more than my truck?
2. Should I rip out the carpet completely? (lot of work as the
downstairs has the carpet pad glued to concrete slab but I will do it
if I have to)
3. Has anyone else with ferrets or other furry critters had this
problem and been able to solve it without removing all carpeting or
using chemicals, etc?

And moving is not an option unfortunately. Can't afford to. I live in
the South and am used to all kinds of interesting creepy-crawlies but
this is just nasty.

Any advice welcome. Thank you in advance.

[SS]