Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 02:33:55 -0800
>As you know Chocolate is a favorite taste of a ferret as well as me
>but for a fert is a deadly item.

This has never been proven. And, I would hazard an educated guess that
it is not true.

In the past, my Brat Pack absconded with a 5 pound bag of M&M's and
before we discovered the theft (By noticing the multi-colored poops!)
almost half the bag had been devoured. (Did I mention some very hyper
Brats??)

Chocolate has a substance called theobromine, a naturally occurring
substance in the cocoa bean. It **IS** a poison to dogs, and I am
sure that is where the worry comes from. Theobromine, a stimulant, is
strongest in un-processed chocolate and the more refined the chocolate
is, ie: milk chocolate, the less concentrated the theobromine is.

I would not worry about giving your companions small amounts, but keep
in mind, even if the chocolate is not a poison to the ferret, the sugar
found in chocolate confections is not a good idea for them to have, in
great quantities.

MC, The Rude One
With Rudy and Tumbles.  In Spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob,
Garret, Snorkle, Squeeks, Tuzigoot, Bancho, Artemus, and Abraham.