From:
Jan Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 00:32:21 -0500
Hi, I posted some time back about my boy Zach, being a bit of a biter and
am now wondering if this is maybe related in any way to a sudden change I
have noticed over Christmas, Zachary, aged approximately 18-20 months, a
very boisterous, active ferret, who lives with three other female ferrets
of mixed ages, is suddenly veering to the left when he walks.

All of my ferrets spent Christmas day in their cage together while I was
away overnight.  On my return home on Boxing day, I noticed that Zach
seemed rather wobbly on his feet and was swaying when he stands still.
I took him to the vet the next day, but an initial exam ruled out any
obvious cause.  At my request, he has been put on medication on the
assumption that he may have an ear infection, though he has no obvious
discomfort or discharge.  He veers or staggers always to the left as he
walks and sometimes his left hind leg seems to give out and he pitches
over on his side.  However, he already seems to be compensating for this
and it is not stopping him from attempting anything, like climbing to the
top of his cage!

I am keeping him caged when I am away so that he cannot fall and hurt
himself, but he is not in any apparent distress and in fact is in great
spirits and is eating, drinking and pooping normally.  However the
medication, (quarter tablet daily of Baytril 50mg), so far is not
relieving his symptoms - early days possibly.  However, I would like
to know if anyone out there has experienced these symptoms in a ferret.
I wonder if this is more likely to be a brain related, neurological
disorder, or a symptom of something else.  The other thing which I
originally posted about several months back, is that occasionally, he
gets a bit aggressive and wants to bite any exposed flesh and is very
persistent and ignores all attempts to gently stop him.  At the same time
he is gradually becoming more of a "kissy" boy when he first wakes up.

Unfortumately my normal very knowledgeable ferret vet has been away over
Christmas and New Year.  But I will call him for interpretation of a
blood test that was taken last Friday and for further advice.

In the meantime, any suggestions would be very helpful, especially as to
likely cause and possible prognosis.

Many thanks from a worried ferret-mum.

Jan, Zach, Cirque, Nella and Hoots