From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 13:04:23 -0700
Okay Dick, you made an excellent point.  Now I feel we ferret owners are
between a rock and a hard place.  If we report reactions to vaccines, we
risk having the vaccine pulled off the market like Prorab was.  We can't
afford this since there is only 1 approved canine distemper vaccine and 1
approved rabies vaccine.  But if we don't report reactions, how do we know
if the vaccine only results in reactions within an "acceptable limit"? (I
don't know what that limit is.) I know that no matter how safe a vaccine
is, you run the risk of some reactions to it.

Do vets commonly report reactions to the FDA and the manufacturer?  If so,
this point is probably moot since not that many of us give shots at home.
Our numbers probably would not affect the overall total very much. I can
recall Cindy Sooy saying she too had a problem but I think the number of
reactions owners would report would still be small. So what do we do?

Linda, the survey forms looks great.  When do we start?  Do you want shelter
owners to participate with shelter ferrets also or just their "pets"?

        -Carla Almaraz