From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 07:33:10 -0500
Dear FMLers,

I was really disappointed when reading Dr. Dutton's post this morning
about the kind of email he seems to be generating.  Where is this coming
from?  And why?

There are several vets on this list and only a VERY small number choose
to respond.  We should be grateful that a veterinarian is willing to take
the time to read the FML regularly and then respond to our questions.

I don't know how Dr. Williams does it with all the things he has going on.
And speaking of Dr. Williams....we're extremely lucky to have him
participate to actively and so regularly, but it's nice to know we have
'coverage' when he goes away.

As far as vets trying to diagnose via the Internet......I have many postings
from FMLers who are sitting home with sick ferrets waiting to hear what the
docs on the FML have to say...in my opinion, this is dangerous.  Actually, I
have better adjectives but I'm afraid it will sound too flaming and BIG will
slap my fingers.

It's one thing to ask for an opinion about a sick ferret under treatment,
it's another thing to have a ferret lying flat out, not eating or drinking,
diarrhea, and someone waiting from 24 to 48 hours for FML advice!

I'm sorry, Dr. Dutton, that you seem to be having problems with some of the
FMLers.  I just want you to know that some of us out here do appreciate your
opinions and advice and welcome active participation by another vet.  This
is not to take anything away from Dr.  Williams, and he knows that, but it
*is* nice to have another 'regular.'

I hope you're not turned off by this and will continue to help us out.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Western New York and Finger Lakes
   Ferret Association