From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:56:55 -0500
Debbie,
Don't panic yet!! :)  My ferret Baby broke his front leg/paw when he was
only about 10 weeks old (almost three months old which was a year ago).  He
was under a blanket and I pulled the corner of the blanket to unroll him in
play and his leg must have been twisted in the excitement and sure enough
it broke his front leg.  I was sad.  Look what I had done.  :(

Anyway he was a biter and kind of mean before this happened.  I rushed him
to the vet who confirmed Baby had a broken little leg.  :( The vet wrapped
his broken leg close to his chest and continued to wrap his whole body just
to make sure that Baby wouldn't get the bandages off.  Well all Baby had
was one front paw and his head and back legs left sticking out.  This
bandage covered his whole body from neck down to the beginning of his back
legs.  Poor guy had to crawl on his face forever it seemed.  Well guess
what?  It healed wonderfully and he didn't even have to be confined to
being alone.  He was aloud to play just like normal because he was wrapped
as tight as a drum.  No chance for re-injury with that wrap.  He did weasel
out of it the first night and then the vet really over did it the next day
with the wrap and all was well.

In a way (no flames) it was kind of a good thing because he didn't have the
name Baby yet and with his new injury his mamma (me) had to help him to do
everything.  I had to even help place his good paw up on the cage wall so
that he could stand a little to reach the water bottle and drink.  He
really took a liking to me after that and he depended on me for everything.
I can't remember how long he had to wear that cast/wrap but it certainly
tamed him down and he became such a little baby hence his name became Baby.
He let me rock him and sing while he lay in my arms on his back like a
newborn.  He started kissing me like crazy from then on.  He has been my
favorite since the day he got hurt.  SHHH!!  Don't tell the others.  :) He
knows he is my favorite though.  :)

Right in the beginning the vet said that Baby might require expensive
surgery, but he would go ahead and do the wrap and then we would have to
see.  Baby was fine and never needed that surgery at all.  Seek another
vet if you feel the need because I honestly don't think anything bad will
become of your little monster butt Missy.  I am sure with a good wrap and
good leg positioning in this wrap she will heal nicely.  Good Luck and keep
us all posted!  :)

Michelle & The Big Turd Herd (missing & loving Sweet Pea)