From:
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:34:43 -0800
>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adoption policies
>This is a recurring thread but I had to support the shelters here.

You are aware that there are shelters on "both sides" of this issue aren't
you?  We AS A SHELTER feel some shelters are doing themselves and their
charges a disservice.  So saying you support the shelters isn't exactly
clarifying.

>If your boring little personal details are more important that rescuing a
>ferret

Ah you are on that side.  Its rather insulting of you to call anyone who
wants to retain privacy "boring".

>so people who seem surprised by these policies have never gone to breed
>rescue

That is a very incorrect assumption.  We have (seperately and together)
over the years adopted dogs and cats from breed rescues.  Some were
suffering some sort of ego trip thinking they needed all that information
while others lived in the real world and were more realistic about what
was really needed.

You will not through the preadoption process of any ferret shelter we are
aware of *know* whether a potential adopter is going to be good or not.

There is absolutely no way we would reveal our income to any shelter.
It is none of their business.  Income is NOT porportional or inversely
proportional to the amount of money someone one is willing to spend on
their pets needs.  We would say what veterinarians we use.  But we would
be extremely upset if our veterinarians told any shelter anything about
us.  It would be a breach of doctor / patient confidentiality.  That is not
their place and a clear thinking shelter should realize this.  We will not
allow any shelter to examine our credit as we would not be seeking credit
by adopting a ferret.  We will not reduce our already endangered sense of
privacy by giving private individuals such information.

Thus we will not ask such of anyone seeking to adopt a ferret from us.  No
ferret adopted from our shelter has ever enterred another shelter that we
were aware of.  None has been mistreated that we have become aware of.
Seems to us with our non-invasive approach we are doing quite well.  Thank
you very much.

bill and diane
--
bill and diane killian