From:
William Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:00:04 -0800
My 14 month old ferret is drastically changing color as she is puting her
winter coat on.  Until very recently, she was an almost entirely white
with dark eyes, with light panda like coloring on her hind legs, and
tail.  Now, her back is turning very dark, her tail is nearly black, and
the rest of her body seems to be darkening as well.  Her fur is also very
thick, she was rather fluffy to begin with compared to the two sables I
have owned in the past.  She also sheds more than I thought a ferret
would.  Fortunately, she enjoys being brushed.  Obviously, I keep her
indoors and in a house that is always heated, besides, we are still
having 80 degree weather here (global warming?  jk).  The sables that I
owned did not seem to change seasonally.  So here is my question: will
she return to her orignal coloring or lighten in the spring?

Incidentally, she seems to be confused regarding white in the summer and
dark in the winter (like an ermine or stoat) for camoflouge purposes!