From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:03:38 -0400
Yesterday, Kat wrote:
>Isn't there anything we can do, as INDIVIDUALS, to help these ferret
>shelters get their numbers down to a manageable level????  i know so
>many of them are OVER capacity...Jean in Cleveland is at 90...yes
>NINETY!...i know so many others are at 60, 70, 80...MORE!!!
>
>it is great to throw a few dollars their way when you can...that is
>ALWAYS needed...and appreciated...BUT...and this is a BIG BUT!!!...
>
>they need PEOPLE to come in and ADOPT one or two ferrets..they need
>LOTS of people to come in and take a baby or three off their hands and
>into your home...

The No Ferret or Shelter Operator Left Behind Program.....

Yes, they do need people to adopt - that's true.  But another way to help
your local shelters is to VOLUNTEER a bit of your time.  The overloaded
shelter moms (and dads) not only need donations and people to adopt, but
they also need PHYSICAL help with cleaning, etc.  So if you're finances
don't allow you to give money right now, or you have too many ferrets to
adopt more - consider donating some of your time to help these folks out.
It's free, doesn't factor into ferret math and it really makes a
difference at a shelter.

PLEASE!!!!  EVERY SHELTER IN MARYLAND IS PACKED FULL, AND I'VE HEARD THE
SAME FOR MANY OTHER STATES - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DONATE A DAY (OR A
HALF DAY) TO A LOCAL SHELTER AND SHOW THEM THAT YOU DO CARE.  DON'T JUST
TALK ABOUT IT - DO IT!  Get you're ferret friends together and make a
day of it - even if it's only once a month - every little bit helps.

If for some reason you can't do physical labor, ask what other jobs the
shelter needs to get done - posting pictures on Petfinder, website
updates, fundraising, feeding sick ferrets, picking up surrenders and
driving them to the shelter, giving meds, helping with adv tests, make
bedding for them to sell (or use), refilling water bottles and food
dishes, enrichment (playing with the ferrets), etc.

A shelter operator's work is NEVER done.  Please show them that you
appreciate and acknowledge their dedication and sacrifice by VOLUNTEERING
YOUR TIME.  All the shelters are so busy and the operators are burning
out.  So if you want to see the shelters shut down, one by one, just do
nothing (and watch the euthanization numbers at county operated shelters
SOAR...).  But if you really want to help, volunteer and be part of the
solution.

The selfless act of volunteering is VERY good for the soul.  You can
literally save a life - when shelters are full and overwhelmed, they
can't take any more ferrets in.  What happens to those ferrets when there
isn't room at the shelter?  I shudder to think.  But by helping a shelter
and taking some of the enormous burden off the shelter director you DO
make a difference in the adoption rate (and speed), not to mention the
well being of the shelter moms and dads.

Lisa