Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:07:26 EST
I am barely coherent, but wanted to let you all know what a raw deal a
ferret shelter got at the expensive, 3 day, 12 hour a day Arlington Race
Tracks family pet expo in Illinois.

The need to make money to care for 90 some ferrets is obvious.  This show
was of significant importance for this shelter.  There were 3 days to
make money selling items.  It was also a time to meet people who wanted a
ferret and would decide to adopt instead of buy at a store, and to educate
people on ferret care.  It was truly next to impossible for this to be
achieved.

The Greater Chicago Ferret Association set up their booth at the site they
paid for on Thursday and went home.  Everything was gone the next day.  It
had been jammed between an enormous thick brick pillar and a wall, and
along the edge of the dog ring-where all the people jam to watch the dog
shows.  I could not find their booth.  I searched thoroughly twice.  I had
to have a volunteer take me to the horrid spot.

The fire Marshall deemed the original spot that they paid for was needed
in case there was a fire.  So, everything was thrown elsewhere: jammed
into this Very noisy area-hidden from view.

It was too loud during the shows to educate.  It was too noisy to bring
the ferrets out during the shows.  It was not supposed to be a site at
all.

--We really need to support our shelters.  GCFA needs donations to help
make up for the cost of this horrible area, and loss of monies and people
who would have adopted had they found the shelter spot

There were people looking for GCFA booth who never found it-even after I
tried to explain the location.  I could not leave my own booth unless I
had someone to help me at mine.  And I did do this.  But the situation is
obvious.  The money expected and needed is not coming.

PLEASE go to GCFA.com to see their shelter web page, and see if there is
some way that you can help.  I was in tears driving home tonight.  So many
of those ferrets need Adrenal surgeries, and new cages, and meds, and....

This is the first show I ever entered.  I am so exhausted.  Standing for
14 hours talking constantly-I felt light headed and faint several times,
and wondered if I was about to faint.  These GCFA volunteers doing this
year after year are unbelievable.  But it was not enough.

Can you help?
Look at their site and wish list  www.GCFA.com

This is such a blow.  Please help this shelter to overcome this loss.  You
know all those baskets I made for GCFA?  No one saw them.  Next to no one
could find the booth, or get to it through the jammed crowd lining the dog
arena.  If this shelter cannot make it- I don't forsee another opening in
Illinois for 90 some ferrets and a waiting list.

Lisette